SPOKANE, Wash. - Smoke continues to blanket the Inland Northwest and local districts are doing all they can to keep students safe.
As of Tuesday morning the air quality in Spokane reached hazardous, most districts around the region have informed families of the steps being taken to keep children out of the dangerous air conditions.
You can find an interactive map and track the wildfires here.
Spokane Public Schools
Spokane Public Schools posted the following message to Facebook:
"All of our administrators will be following the healthy air recommendations set forth by Spokane Regional Clean Air Agency by checking air quality on the hour throughout the school day Tuesday."
The guidelines the district will be following can be found here.
Coeur d'Alene Public Schools
Coeur d'Alene administrators are also taking steps to protect students. Below is what they shared to Facebook Monday night.
Due to the bad air quality in the Coeur d’Alene area, Coeur d’Alene Public Schools will take steps on the first day of school Tuesday to keep students indoors as much as possible.
Superintendent Stan Olson has asked all principals and program leaders to do the following:
1) Get all students into buildings on arrival at school sites. Students of any age should not line up outside or be held outdoors for any period of time.
2) Cancel all outdoor recess, P.E. classes and other outdoor activities until further notice.
3) Have all outdoor athletic program practices and contests put on hold until mid-day Tuesday. District administrators will closely monitor air quality conditions throughout the morning before making a final determination about outdoor athletic activities for later in the day.
While the district does not anticipate a school closure at this time, worsening conditions could prompt district leaders to reevaluate this. As with all severe weather events, any decisions on closing schools would be made early in the morning and communicated widely via social media, the district website and local news media.
Stay up to date on the air quality conditions in Spokane by visiting Spokane Clean Air.
Reardan-Edwall School District
School administrators have canceled all outdoor activities for the majority of the week. This includes recess and cross country activities. The district said they will evaluate the conditions later in the week to determine the status of the Friday night Pigskin kickoff and football game. The game will be moved to Saturday night or possibly canceled.
Boundary County School District
Boundary County School District has canceled all outdoor activities until the air quality improves.
Mead School District
Mead schools will follow the same guidelines as Spokane Public Schools. The guidelines can be found here.
Dayton School District
The Dayton School District is monitoring the air quality index and will hold PE classes and elementary recess indoors when it is unhealthy to be outside for extended periods of time.
As of Tuesday, athletics teams will still hold outdoor practice. If the air quality becomes worse, this will be reevaluated.
The district adds:
If as a parent you have any specific concerns please contact the building office or your child's teacher for more information. It is important to make sure all of your child's medical records are current and if your child uses an inhaler they bring it to school and use as necessary.
Other closures due to wildfire smoke:
-The NWC Josh Wright Memorial Jamboree at Northwest Christian in Colbert has been canceled Tuesday because of the poor air quality. The jamboree will not be rescheduled.
-Tuesday's Spokane Indians game is canceled. The team will play at Vancouver Wednesday.
- Forum seeks to end child abuse, increase affordable childcare in Spokane
- Spokane firefighter with legacy of protecting firefighters remembered
- Vanessa Behan Crisis Nursery provides safe, confidential temporary childcare
- The impacts of child abuse, through the eyes of an officer
- Daycare worker fights for better access to childcare after death of Caiden Henry
- Kxly4 Extreme Team gets to work renovating Project ID