ELK, Wash. - Washington State Patrol has reported that 26-year-old Mathew Thayer of Elk died late last night when he was struck by a vehicle while standing in the southbound lane of State Route 2, near Eloika Lake.
32-year-old Patrick Wellman was driving southbound on SR 2, about two miles south of the Spokane/Pend Oreille County line when he hit Thayer, who was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver was not injured, and is not facing any charges.
Authorities believe the victim may have been intoxicated.
- Morning Sprint: Dec. 14
- As bald eagles converge on Lake Coeur d'Alene, biologist warns of lead bullet use
- Christmas inflatable decorations slashed
- Toddler learns to snowboard before first birthday
- Spokane Democrats say Alabama special election gives hope for 2018
- Band members charged with raping woman released from jail