SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - A man was shot and killed Sunday night by a homeowner who claims he acted in self defense.
Spokane County Sheriff's deputies responded to the 17300 block of East Montgomery just before eight o'clock after a man called 911 to report he had shot someone.
The homeowner told police he heard a knock on his front door, and armed himself before answering. When he opened the door he didn't find anyone outside right away. Moments later, he told police he noticed someone in his front yard.
The homeowner said he told the man to leave his property. After the stranger refused to follow those orders, the homeowner claims the trespasser charged him. According to police, this is when the alleged intruder was shot in the leg.
Police said the man who was shot ran away, but was eventually found by deputies and a canine unit just a short distance away from the original scene.
Deputy Mark Gregory told KXLY the subject was extremely uncooperative with both deputies and paramedics. First responders were not able to provide the life-saving care he needed and the shooting victim was pronounced dead on the scene.
Major Crimes detectives are currently investigating the incident.
- UGM Student Impact Center aims to help Spokane's at risk youth
- Newport marchers protest proposed smelter
- One killed, two injured in head-on crash near Deer Park
- Students compete in "Hack-a-thon"
- Restaurant week opens with a bang, chefs prepping for busy night two
- Hero dog shot three times trying to save family