SPOKANE, Wash. - An elderly woman and her dog were killed in a house fire Thursday morning in the South Perry District.
Deputy Fire Chief Mark John said when fire crews arrived at E. Eighth Ave. and S. Ivory St. at around 7:00 a.m., the house was already consumed by heavy smoke. John believes the fire had been burning for some time, because it had burned through the floor of the main level, causing the fireplace to fall into the basement.
A search crew found the still unidentified woman and her dog near the back of the home.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
A stretch of Newark Avenue was closed for about two hours because of the fire.
- Student strangers become friends planning March For Our Lives Spokane
- Suspect on the loose after hours-long standoff
- Jersey Mikes donates all sales to Providence Health Care Foundation
- Body found at Winchester State Park
- Interior Secretary and Spokane Tribe discuss opioid crisis, Grand Coulee Dam compensation
- Wake Up Call to offer puppaccinos on National Puppy Day