One man is dead and another is in jail after a fight in Coeur d'Alene this weekend.
Police found Jeff Marfice, 29, bleeding with a head wound just after 1:30 a.m. Sunday on the 300 block of N. Fourth street.
Marfice's fiance, Crystal Mobbs, said he was protecting her when Tyler Finlay, 21, punched Marfice, who then fell and hit the back of his head on the pavement.
"He just walked up and told him not to place his hands on me. Last thing we know it was just game over," Mobbs said.
Police said the punch caused Marfice to fall to the ground and his the back of his head on the pavement. Marfice was transported to Kootenai Health where medical staff took him into emergency surgery to try relieving the pressure on his brain. He was pronounced dead Monday morning.
Detectives spoke with several witnesses and Finlay on Sunday. They say Finlay admitted he punched Marfice one time.
Finlay is now charged with involuntary manslaughter. He appeared before a judge Monday afternoon where his bond was set at $250,000. Finley has a prior criminal history, including two DUIs.
- Tracking the City of Spokane's snow removal
- Snow warriors brave the roads to enjoy the holiday season
- Spokane International Airport offers tips on traveling this holiday
- Mail thief arrested in West Central
- Full-city plow continues in Spokane neighborhoods
- Hawks helping Hawks: How a Spokane school is helping California wildfire victims