Local anesthesiologist died from combination of drugs, alcohol; death ruled an accident

SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - The Spokane County Medical Examiner on Tuesday said a local anesthesiologist found dismembered in his backyard died from probable cardiac dysrhythmia. 

The ME said Rex C. Porter’s death was an accident due to combined drug toxicity from simultaneous use of ethanol, sertraline, trazadone and ziprasidone. 

Porter was found dead at his Dishman Hills home on April 9. Responding deputies found the house in disarray and discovered several of Porter’s body parts burned in the backyard. 

According to court documents, Porter’s car had been sitting in the driveway of his home for two days with the door open. 

RELATED: Spokane anesthesiologist found dead in backyard

READ: Detectives request security footage from dismembered Spokane Valley man's home

A further search of the 11-acre property led deputies to find Porter’s remains in a backyard fire pit. Deputies also found the remnants of a dead animal in a sink inside the home. 

Authorities detained Porter’s son, 29-year-old Derek Porter, who they found in the basement of the house. Deputies contacted another family member who said Derek has autism and is non-verbal. The family member said Derek can be violent and has attacked Rex in the past. He was never charged. 

In a release Tuesday, the Spokane County Sheriff's Office said there is no evidence of any criminal acts in the case and the case is now closed.