DES MOINES, Wash. - UPDATE:
Rex's GoFundMe has reached almost $60,000.
Rex was able to return home Sunday night, but unfortunately, the robbers came back.
According to KOMO News, at some point while Rex was in the hospital, another break-in occurred at the family's home.
This one was successful. The family says shoes, watches, and video games were stolen. Des Moines Police don't have anyone in custody yet.
A Des Moines, Washington family says their dog saved his teenage owner's life, but was shot three times in the process. That dog is in the hospital.
According to KOMO News, 16-year-old Javier Mercado was home alone when he heard several people break into his house. He hid in a closet and called 911. Meanwhile, Rex, the family's German shepherd, ran to defend him.
Rex bit one of the burglars, who then shot him three times. Police arrived seconds later, and the burglars fled.
Rex is stable and awaiting surgery at BluePearl Pet Hospital in Seattle.
The Des Moines community has already raised almost $45,000 for Rex's medical bills.
- Semi loses load on I-90, causing massive backup
- The Spokane River is fun...and dangerous
- Growing GU campus helps improve city, school says
- Gonzaga law students will travel to the Hague
- Public memorial service scheduled to honor longtime Davenport Hotel doorman John Reed
- Court rules that Trump administration can't cut Planned Parenthood grants