IDAHO CO., Idaho - Heavy rain and melting snow are causing flooding and mudslides through portions of north and central Idaho.
A flood warning is in effect until further notice in Stites, Idaho. According to the National Weather Service, the South Fork Clearwater River has reached 10 feet and is expected to keep rising. That is two feet above NWS flood stage. At 10 feet, there is significant flooding affecting the South Fork Basin and other communities will be impacted. The river is expected to peak at 11 feet Tuesday.
The United States Geological survey said they plan to have crews on scene Wednesday to collect streamflow measuments.
Both Idaho and Lewis counties are under a flood advisory through Tuesday night. Several roads in both counties are closed due to flooding and mudslides.
The Idaho County Sheriff’s Office said the flooding caused a large mudslide on Highway 162 Tuesday morning.
Below are active closures and areas where drivers are asked to use caution:
• Highway 13 is closed at Stites with the river reaching flooding stages.
• Highway 12 between Kamiah and Orofino is closed due to an active slide.
• Highway 12 at milepost 74 is not closed, but the public is asked to be cautious. There are cones up, as the water is crossing into the roadway.
• Clear Creek is flooding at the Fish Hatchery.
• Red Rock Road, Lamb’s Grade and Yellow Bull are closed due to water on the roadway.
• Lake’s Gulch is closed due to water on the road.
In flood situations, drivers are asked to use extreme caution. Do not drive over water; you never know if a road is washed out. It only takes six inches of water to take a car completely off the road and sweep it into a river.
Catch up on the day's news and look ahead to tomorrow by signing up for the Daily Local email newsletter from KXLY4. Headlines, events, and staff picks every weeknight at 8 p.m. Sign up HERE to get your news on the D.L.
- Support Washington foster kids at the 4th annual 'Socktoberdash'
- Local doctors traveling to Cuba for Operation Walk, providing free surgeries and training
- Mayor Condon holding telephone townhall for public to weigh-in on 2020 budget
- Lawyer for former LC student accused of cyberstalking wants confession suppressed
- No-Li Brewhouse wants you to drink beer for a good cause
- Report: Gardner Minshew offered endorsement deal from adult entertainment site