GRANT COUNTY, Wash. - UPDATE: The inmate who died as been identified as 34-year-old Derek A. Batton of Soap Lake.
Batton was booked into the jail on Friday around 11:35 p.m. He had been arrested earlier in the day by Soap Lake Police for three outstanding out of county warrants for failing appear for a DUI charge, third-degree driving while license suspended, and an ignition interlock violation.
An autopsy was conducted on Batton Monday morning. The cause of death is pending.
Batton's family has been notified.
The Grant County Sheriff's Office is investigating the death of an inmate at the Grant County Jail Sunday morning.
Corrections deputies alerted emergency responders around 10:45 a.m. when the 34-year-old male inmate was found in his bunk.
Corrections deputies started CPR and other life-saving procedures. The inmate was declared dead by paramedics a short time later.
The inmate’s body is in the care of Coroner Craig Morrison whose staff will conduct an autopsy. The identity of the inmate will be released Monday.
Consistent with department policy, a detective will investigate the death. Foul play is currently not suspected.
Due to the investigation, inmate visitation this evening at the Grant County Jail is canceled.
More information will be released Monday.
- Local agencies weigh in on the #WhyIDidntReport movement
- Union Gospel Mission uniting community for World Homeless Day
- Woman arrested for arson for downtown Spokane apartment fire
- South Boundary Fire Protection District sued as former commissioner faces rape charges
- Steven Branting to appear at Northtown Barnes and Noble for book signing
- Level 2 evacuation notice lifted for I-90 fires