SPOKANE, Wash. - Five years ago, students and staff at Gonzaga University made a commitment to sustainable eating.
On Thursday, they achieved that goal by completing the Real Food Challenge.
A nationwide initiative, the challenge was launched to direct university food budgets toward healthier, organic and locally produced foods.
The pledge was made back in 2014, when the university partnered with Zag Dining and Sodexo.
The goal? To have 20% of the food served on campus come from community providers by 2020.
That goal was reached Thursday, and with time to spare.
CLICK HERE to learn more about the Real Food Challenge.
A foggy morning but a slightly warmer day expected Thursday
Top headlines to start your Wednesday
- Hillyard couple fed up with RV parked outside home, demands answers from city
- No charges to be filed against Spokane Police officer in July use of force incident
- Spokane Police Guild weighs in on crime, homeless crisis
- Homeowner speaks up after neighbors make complaints against him and his backyard
- Dog with tumor gets survivor scarf from WSU
- Police: College Place teen writes about killing mother, attacking high school