COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho - UPDATE: The motorcyclist has been identified as 46-year-old Blaze Eugene Smith of Spokane.
Smith was wanted for a felony Escape from Community Custody warrant issued out of Washington. Detectives have also confirmed that the motorcycle was stolen.
The investigation is still ongoing.
One person is dead after crashing a motorcycle while trying to enter Interstate 90 Tuesday afternoon.
According to the Idaho State Police, an ISP trooper attempted a traffic stop on a suspected stolen motorcycle on I-90 near mile post 7. The rider, who was headed eastbound, pulled into the Huetter Rest Area where the trooper attempted to make contact with the rider.
It's reported that the rider fled, but lost control and crashed while attempting to re-enter I-90. Life-saving measures were performed on the rider, but he died.
The Kootenai County Sheriff's Office, acting as lead investigative agency for the North Idaho Critical Incident Task Force, is investigating the crash.
Detectives are working to notify the next of kin and will identify the rider at a later date.
- Snowy start to Saturday in Spokane
- One girl found, one still missing from Bonners Ferry
- Passenger killed after collision with Chelan County snowplow
- Robbery suspects arrested after breaking into motel room
- Pullman psychologist arrested for sexually assaulting patient
- Second storm of the week brings new snow, high winds to Inland NW