ROCKFORD, Wash. - It's been a tough year for students at Freeman High School after a gunman opened fire inside the school last September, killing one student and wounding three others.
As the community continues to recover from the tragic shooting, KXLY 4's Mark Peterson and the Extreme Team surprised Freeman students Friday afternoon during an assembly for a special announcement.
With help from the Extreme Team and Hometown Chevrolet Dealers, the Freeman Scotties will get their baseball field renovated this spring.
Built on clay, the current baseball field suffers from major drainage issues. Puddles of water fill the infield and outfield which has forced the baseball team to play some of their home games away from Freeman in the past.
Head Coach Chad Ripke said it's "a dream come true" to get the field renovated so that the kids can be proud of their home ballpark.
LIVE: March For Our Lives demonstration
Cathy McMorris Rodgers releases statement on school violence
- Cathy McMorris Rodgers releases statement on school violence
- Man who attacked jogger in Seattle park sentenced to prison
- Asbestos concerns stop restoration of century-old hotel
- Dance studio sues City, says damages from city-owned property forced closure
- Martie Soderberg found guilty of conspiring to kill her husband
- Man crosses center line, hits oncoming vehicle near Sagle