SPOKANE, Wash. - On Tuesday morning, deputies responded to a residence in Spokane Valley after receiving an alert from a panic alarm.
According to court docs filed on Wednesday, upon arriving at the home, deputies found Melissa Robertson laying in a pool of blood. She had been stabbed two times underneath her arm on her torso and once in the chest.
Melissa told deputies that she recently served her husband, Justin Robertson, with divorce paperwork.
She also told them that Justin tied her up with a cellphone charging cable in the master bedroom, from which she later escaped. He then stabbed her three times and fled with their 5-year-old son, Ethan.
A search for Justin and Ethan ensued and both were located later in the day at Justin’s fathers residence in St. John, Washington. Ethan was rescued and is safe, however, Justin shot and killed himself after a lengthy standoff with authorities.
Although authorities were not sure if Melissa would pull through after receiving such brutal wounds, she is now in satisfactory condition.
Read more on this story here.
Catch up on the day's news and look ahead to tomorrow by signing up for the Daily Local email newsletter from KXLY4. Headlines, events, and staff picks every weeknight at 8 p.m. Sign up HERE to get your news on the D.L.
- REO Speedwagon cancels Spokane show, promises to re-schedule
- Coeur d'Alene library reports political books are frequently hidden
- Criminal charges against Benton County sheriff dismissed, attorney says
- British family deported after illicit US border crossing
- 81-year-old driver arrested after crashing into school bus, other car in north Spokane
- New PSA links younger tackle football players to heightened risk of CTE