SPOKANE, Wash. - A 59-year-old convicted felon was arrested in downtown Spokane late Friday night following a standoff with police.
Spokane Police officers responded to an apartment at 240 W. Sprague Ave around 7 p.m. The initial report indicated a tenant may have accidentally discharged a gun inside a communal area of the building.
When police arrived on scene, they learned the suspect, identified as Michael Handsome, was inside his apartment. A records check showed Handsome was a convicted felon with a criminal history in several states, which meant he could not legally have access to a firearm.
Handsome did not initially comply with officers' attempts to get him out of the apartment. Due to the nature of the incident and potential harm to the community, the SWAT team and hostage negotiators were brought in to help.
Police obtained a search warrant for Handsome's apartment. Just before midnight, he peacefully surrendered and was taken into custody.
Handsome was booked into jail for unlawful possession of a firearm and reckless endangerment.
November gloom continues: Foggy this morning with more rain on the way
Remembering the 2015 windstorm four years later
- Remembering the 2015 windstorm four years later
- Firefighters prevent early morning fire from spreading
- Native American tribes seeing many cases of murdered, missing indigenous women
- Weekend rain brings snow to local mountains
- Rain, rain, go away! We're in store for more wet and cold weather
- Historic Coeur d'Alene home wheeled down city streets