SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - The Spokane Valley community is rallying together to support a 14-year-old boy who has been diagnosed with stage four colon cancer.
Braden Haskell was diagnosed with cancer on March 5. His cancer started in his colon, but has since moved to his liver. His doctors said they have never seen cancer like this in a boy so young.
Since his diagnosis, the Haskell family has started to make aggressive steps toward getting Braden cancer-free. With a team of doctors in Spokane and Seattle, they have come up with a treatment plan that includes multiple rounds of chemotherapy.
The Haskell family has also formed another team, with members of their church and community.
On Friday, Shotzy’s Coffee on Pines is holding a fundraiser called "Braden Strong Day." The coffee shop will donate 100 percent of proceeds made between 5 a.m. and 6 p.m. to Braden's medical costs. Bracelets and cookies with Haskell’s logo on them will also be for sale.
"They are an amzing family and nobody, especially a child, should have to struggle with such a horrible disease. And they have enough to worry about, being with their son and finding the very best medical care that he needs," said Mindy Rowe, friend of the Haskells and owner of Shotzy's.
If you are unable to make it out to Shotzy's, more coffee stands are planning to host similar fundraisers in the coming weeks.
Stay update on Braden's journey and learn more on how to help here.
Catch up on the day's news and look ahead to tomorrow by signing up for the Daily Local email newsletter from KXLY4. Headlines, events, and staff picks every weeknight at 8 p.m. Sign up HERE to get your news on the D.L.
- #happylife: how to get relief from fall allergies fast
- 35 Spokane Public School students could miss class due to state's MMR vaccine requirement law
- Governor Jay Inslee endorses Ben Stuckart for Spokane mayor
- Pullman's iconic Cougar Country Drive-In to reopen Wednesday for limited hours
- D. Lish offering $2 cheeseburgers today
- 'He was in pieces': Spokane woman relives attack that killed her dog