BEND, Ore. - The man who fell 200 feet to his death at Smith Rock near Bend, Oregon, has been identified as a 2016 graduate of Lake City High School.
According to the Bend Bulletin, Alex Reed fell while he was getting ready to rappel down Picnic Lunch Wall at Smith Rock State Park Tuesday morning.
Reed fell and landed on Misery Ridge Trail around 7:50. Witnesses saw him fall. Several witnesses stayed with Reed after he fell and attempted first aid. One of them was a registered nurse.
First responders arrived and determined that Reed had died.
From 2002 to 2014, three visitors died at Smith Rock. Four had died in the past two years before Tuesday’s death.
- Public use boat launch to open in Spokane neighborhood
- Spokane Valley deputies looking for autistic 10-year-old girl
- Inland Empire Dahlia Society plants garden at VA hospital for Memorial Day
- Body found near boat launch in Kootenai County
- Spokane service campaign celebrates largest impact ever
- Fishing tradition spans decades for local firefighters