SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - UPDATE (1/16/18): Michael Rush made his first appearance in district court Tuesday. His bond was set at $750,000.
UPDATE: Michael Rush is being held on a $500,000 bond according to the Spokane County Jail website.
ORIGINAL STORY: A man was arrested early Saturday morning after an alleged violent sexual assault on a clerk at the Cenex Zip Trip store on Trent Avenue.
36-year-old Michael D. Rush - a Level 3 registered sex offender from Chelan County - was booked into the Spokane County Jail on charges of first-degree rape and second-degree assault.
Around 5 a.m Saturday, Spokane Valley deputies responded to a triggered panic alarm at the Cenex Zip Trip store at 8215 E. Trent Ave.
When deputies arrived, they found the 24-hour store dark inside with the door unlocked. As they entered the store, Rush was exiting the bathroom and immediately detained.
The store clerk was found in the bathroom partially dressed. She told deputies Rush had beaten, strangled, and sexually assaulted her. She received immediate medical attention and was transported to the hospital for serious, but non-life threatening injuries.
Spokane Valley Crimes Unit Detectives are continuing the investigation.
- Kootenai County Jail population hits record high
- Investigation prompts several search warrants at Red Top motel in Spokane Valley
- Idaho senator's reaction stirring up social media
- Wolf Creek Lodge Steak House closing its doors
- Bitter cold no match for dog owners
- Getting your car and home ready for freezing temperatures