The bodies of three climbers were discovered after an avalanche swept through the area they were climbing in Banff National Park, according to a statement from Parks Canada.
Spokane's Jess Roskelley and Austrian climbers Hansjörg Auer and David Lama were climbing Howse Peak in Canada Tuesday when there were reports of an avalanche in the area.
Dangerous conditions hindered the search for their bodies for several days.
Roskelley became the youngest American to reach the summit of Mount Everest when he was 20-years-old, in 2003. He accomplished that feat with his father. Since then, he's conquered routes across South America, Asia, and North America.
He is the son of legendary mountaineer John Roskelley. His father told KXLY Thursday that the community can keep his family in their thoughts and prayers during this hard time and focus on the extraordinary life his son lived.
Catch up on the day's news and look ahead to tomorrow by signing up for the Daily Local email newsletter from KXLY4. Headlines, events, and staff picks every weeknight at 8 p.m. Sign up HERE to get your news on the D.L.
Prosecutor to announce whether Spokane Police officer will be charged for deadly shooting
Moses Lake Police arrest man who fell asleep in stolen car
- Prosecutor to announce whether Spokane Police officer will be charged for deadly shooting
- Moses Lake Police arrest man who fell asleep in stolen car
- Inmate who walked away from hospital found, booked into jail
- Man accused of filming women in N. Spokane store changing room
- Missing 75-year-old woman found safe
- Police arrest ten time convicted felon during traffic stop