LEWISTON, Idaho - A boater competing in the Thunder on the Snake jet boat races died in a crash Saturday afternoon, said the Nez Perce Co. Sheriff's Office.
According to the Sheriff's Office, two separate race boats crashed and three racers were treated for non-life threatening injuries. Deputies said, though life saving measures were taken, one of the racers succumbed to his injuries.
The person who died has not been identified.
The Thunder on the Snake jet boat races were set to go on through Monday, but were canceled following the deadly crash.
The Sheriff's Office will issue a release as more information becomes available.
Thunder on the Snake is an annual event, starting at the Hell's Gate Marina and ending at Bear Bar.
This is the second serious boating accident this week, according to deputies. Just last Saturday, deputies responded to reports of an injured person on a boat who was bleeding badly. They were also told someone had walked off and left the injured person in the boat.
That driver, Shaun Fiamengo, was later found and charged with gross negligent operation of a boat. Deputies say alcohol was involved in that crash.
- Your guide to a very Spook-ane Halloween
- Two arrested after stolen car crashes into Lewiston home
- SCRAPS is looking for help with food donations
- Cat found badly injured in a Spokane neighborhood alleyway
- Local "baby shower" celebrates Washington State's new paid leave program
- Non-profit collects blankets for veterans in need at annual 'Warming Spokane'