SPOKANE, Wash. - After a long and hard fought battle by Gonzaga University's College Republicans to bring him to campus, Ben Shapiro will no longer be coming.
Today, Gonzaga's College Republicans President Olivia Johnston posted about the event's cancellation on Instagram.
This event was something my team and I worked so hard for. I am saddened to share this news. Giving up was never an option for us, but it is beyond our control. Thank you to the people who have supported the College Republicans through this process. I have learned so much and I am excited to see what is next for this group. ❤️🇺🇸
Johnston said that after the event was approved by the University, one of the primary sponsors revoked their support.
"Young America's Foundation, an organization that works with conservative student groups to bring Mr. Shapiro and other speakers, denied our event after disapproving every venue provided by our campus," says Johnston.
She also goes on to say that YAF cited a variety of concerns about each venue, all of which the College Republicans had previously resolved with the university.
Gonzaga's College Republicans have not said whether or not they will work to get Shapiro to speak at the school in the future.
Catch up on the day's news and look ahead to tomorrow by signing up for the Daily Local email newsletter from KXLY4. Headlines, events, and staff picks every weeknight at 8 p.m. Sign up HERE to get your news on the D.L.
- Spokane dentist under investigation for unlawful prescribing of opioids
- Stuckart talks gun control, public safety
- Save 40 percent on home improvement stuff and help Spokane families at the same time
- Viral sensation dubbed the 'salmon cannon' was tested by researchers in the Tri-Cities
- Court: Idaho must give transgender inmate gender surgery
- Spokane Co. deputies looking for man who told 9-year-old girl to 'get in' his van