AIRWAY HEIGHTS, Wash. - Two teens killed a man at an Airway Heights apartment complex Friday for trying to break up an argument.
According to court documents, 19-year-old Brandon Pierce and 18-year-old Christian Palmer were arguing around 6:00 in the morning at the Copper Landing Apartments.
53-year-old Terry Toner tried to intervene, and according to court documents the teens turned on him.
Palmer and Pierce were both arguing inside an apartment over wanting to date a girl. After being asked to leave, the two took the argument outside the apartment, and the noise drew Toner out to investigate.
The two teens got into an argument with Toner, striking him with a baseball bat and then hitting and stomping on the victim as he lay on the ground motionless.
When police arrived, Toner died on scene. Police also discovered Palmer laying in the parking lot. He was transported to Sacred Heart Medical Center where he underwent surgery for serious injuries from the fight.
Pierce fled the scene, but was later arrested.
In an online memorial fund, Toner's family wrote:
"Our hearts broke when we heard the news that a senseless act took the life of Terry Toner. Terry was an amazing father, husband, son, brother, uncle and friend. he made a friend with whoever he would meet and had a heart of gold. he is and will forever be deeply missed."
The accused killers appeared in court Monday. Pierce, charged with second degree murder, is being held on a $1 million bond. Palmer is also being charged with second degree murder and a host of other unrelated charges:
- A DUI hit and run that took place in May.
- Criminal trespassing from early June.
- Minor in possession, also from June.
Palmer is being held on a $750,000 bond. If convicted, both teens could face life in jail.
- Spokane friends' life-long game of tag made into Hollywood movie
- Gonzaga's Graduate Accounting ranked 13th best in nation
- Fear grows among business owners as construction looms on North Monroe
- Renovation project brings new life to East Sprague
- Trial underway for woman accused of murder plot against husband
- Air 4 Adventure: First day of spring