ATHOL, Idaho - According to the Kootenai County Sheriff's Office, a 13-year-old driver led deputies on a high speed chase near Athol early Monday morning.
It was just after 1:00 a.m. when deputies saw an SUV blow through a stop sign on Highway 54. They tried to pull the car over but say the driver accelerated to nearly 80 mph.
The car, with only the 13-year-old driver and a 15-year-old passenger inside, then turned onto Clagstone Road and sped up to more than 100 mph. Deputies say the driver failed to yield, drove through another stop sign, then turned the car's headlights off.
The sheriff's office says the 13-year-old finally pulled over just east of Bunco Road when one of the teenagers' parents called them and told them to stop for the police.
The driver was arrested and booked into the Kootenai County Juvenile Detention Facility, charged with felony eluding and reckless driving.
Catch up on the day's news and look ahead to tomorrow by signing up for the Daily Local email newsletter from KXLY4. Headlines, events, and staff picks every weeknight at 8 p.m. Sign up HERE to get your news on the D.L.
- Vanessa Behan Crisis Nursery Building New Location
- Spokane childcare providers worried over new state requirements
- Local numbers from the 'Clear the Shelters' nationwide event have been released
- New South Perry development features smart house technology, sustainable living
- Washington firefighter seeks damages for on-job injuries
- Collaboration, community the focus of new Spokane cohousing development