“I don't believe Gonzaga exists.”
Those were the words uttered out of talk show host Jimmy Kimmel's mouth while delivering a monologue about the NCAA Basketball Tournament on his show this week.
Kimmel joked that the only time anyone hears the name "Gonzaga" is when college basketball is involved. While it is true that the Gonzaga men's basketball team consistenly dominates headlines, there is much more that makes the school great.
And, oh boy, did Gonzaga fans fire back to make sure Kimmel knows. Twitter was riddled with insults aimed at the talk show host defending their beloved school.
Rude!! Educate yourself Jimmy, seriously 🙄— PrettyG Swag (@Shwinge) March 19, 2019
The Gonzaga Kennel Club even extended an offer for Kimmel to visit the McCarthy Athletic Center next season, just so he can see how real they are.
Kimmel may claim he does not now who or what Gonzaga is, but he did nail the pronunciation; a task that challenges many sports commentators. It is also important to keep in mind that Kimmel started his entertainment career in Washington. Several years ago, he hosted a radio show in Seattle. So, while the joke may not have sat well with Gonzaga fans, it is just a joke in the end.
Catch up on the day's news and look ahead to tomorrow by signing up for the Daily Local email newsletter from KXLY4. Headlines, events, and staff picks every weeknight at 8 p.m. Sign up HERE to get your news on the D.L.
- Enjoy a not-so-Silent Night at the 'Bad Santa Pub Crawl'
- Schweitzer gets four inches of snow as ski season draws closer
- Moses Lake homeowner subdues, holds alleged car-prowler until police arrive
- Lush Cosmetics opening first-ever Spokane location in February 2020
- Moses Lake police searching for woman accused of stealing, punching Home Depot employee
- First look inside the new Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Inland Northwest facility