Idaho residents: Get a grocery credit refund even if you don’t file taxes

If you don’t normally make enough money to file an Idaho income tax return, you can still get a refund of the grocery tax credit for 2017. The tax credit offsets the sales tax on groceries. It’s $100 for most Idaho residents, plus $100 for each of their dependents. Residents age 65 and older get $20 more.

To qualify for the refund, you must have lived in Idaho during all of 2017. The full credit applies to dependents born or adopted in 2017, as well as residents and dependents who died in 2017.

You must prorate your refund to exclude any months you received federal food stamps, were in jail, or were in the U.S. illegally.

If you’re age 65 or older, claim the refund by filing a Form 24, Idaho Grocery Credit Refund. If you’re under the age of 65, file your claim on Form 40, Idaho Individual Income Tax Return.

Last year more than 64,000 residents who weren’t required to file a tax return filed for a grocery credit refund.

For more information, visit the Tax Commission’s website at Click on “Get a grocery credit refund” in the “Quick Picks” section.

You can also get help by calling the Tax Commission at (208) 334-7660 in the Boise area or toll-free at (800) 972-7660.