Our best guesses of the films that will get Best Picture nominations | Streamed & Screened podcast
Despite the admittedly bad press surrounding “Amsterdam,” its release marks something of a beginning to the Hollywood Awards Season that will run from now until the end of the year.
Studios will be dropping the bulk of their prestige films in the coming months, so we thought it was a great time to start a list of films we think are in the running to be nominated for the top Oscar category. The vast majority of these movies haven’t come out yet, but between film festival buzz, trailers, and general vibes we think this is about a good a short list as we can come up with, all things considered.
Did we leave anything out? Think our picks are way off? Let us know at our contact info below!
Streamed & Screened is a podcast about movies and TV hosted by Bruce Miller, an entertainment reporter for multiple decades who is now the editor of the Sioux City Journal, Jared McNett, a reporter for the Sioux City Journal, and Chris Lay, the podcast operations manager for Lee Enterprises.
Where to watch:
- Armageddon Time (Nov. 11)
- Avatar: The Way of Water (Dec. 16)
- Babylon (Dec. 25, limited)
- The Banshees of Inisherin (Oct. 21)
- Decision to Leave (Oct. 14)
- Emancipation (theaters, Dec. 2; AppleTV+ Dec. 9)
- Empire of Light (Dec. 9)
- Everything Everywhere All at Once
- The Fabelmans (Nov. 23)
- Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (Netflix, Dec. 23)
- The Good Nurse (Netflix, Oct. 26)
- Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio (Netflix, Dec. 9)
- TÁR (Oct. 7)
- Top Gun: Maverick
- White Noise (theaters, Nov. 25; Netflix, Dec. 30)
- Women Talking (Dec. 25)
Recent articles by Bruce Miller:
- Movies in a Minute – “Amsterdam”
- “Avenue 5” actors talk about the show’s second season
- Seams show on ‘Beast’s’ not-so-special effects
- Billy Eichner’s ‘Bros’ brings laughs, not a revolution, in filmmaking
- Movies in a Minute – “Bros”
Recent episodes of On Iowa Politics co-hosted by Jared:
- Campaign Ad Wars, Senate Republican Unity, and Iowa’s AG ‘Debate’
- Iowa’s Pipeline, Parents First, and Unopposed Candidates
- Student Loans, Education Funding, and State a Fair Report
Follow the show: