Huskies Win Apple Cup

Huskies Win Apple Cup

Dwayne Washington rushed for 135 yards and touchdown runs of 51 and 60 yards, and Washington retained the Apple Cup with a 31-13 win over Washington State on Saturday night.

Washington continued his late-season touchdown binge and reached the 100-yard mark for the third straight game. Washington had touchdown runs of 68 yards against Oregon State and 66 yards against Arizona and closed the season with six touchdowns rushing in his final four games.

The Huskies (8-5, 4-5 Pac-12) now await their bowl destination. Chris Petersen capped his first season with his 100th career win and consecutive victories.

Washington State quarterback Luke Falk threw two interceptions and Vince Mayle had a costly fumble late in the second quarter. The Cougars (3-9, 2-7) were shut out in the first half for the first time in 26 games.

The Huskies were on the verge of shutting out Washington State in Pullman for the first time since 1935 before Falk found Dom Williams on a 35-yard touchdown with 9:55 left. It avoided Mike Leach being shutout for the first time in his career as a head coach.

The Huskies romp snapped a string of close contests played on the Cougars home field. The previous six Apple Cup’s played in Pullman had been decided by seven points or less.

Washington QB Cyler Miles was 25 of 39 for 249 yards and a pair of touchdowns. He found Kasen Williams on a 6-yard TD reception late in the second quarter for a 14-0 halftime lead and added an 18-yard TD pass to Joshua Perkins early in the fourth quarter. Williams’ TD was just his second since the 2013 season opener and came in his final regular season game for the Huskies.

Dwayne Washington’s two long TD runs both came on the Huskies second offensive play of each half. The Huskies had eight offensive touchdowns of 35 or more yards in their final three games.

The 107th meeting between the rivals was the coldest on record with a temperature of 19 degrees for the 7:30 p.m. PST kickoff. And nothing came easy for Washington State’s passing game that had been so potent all season.

The Huskies were able to fluster Falk by rushing just four defensive linemen and dropping the rest into coverage making it a struggle to find open receivers downfield. Falk threw for 355 yards – most after the game was decided – and was intercepted by John Ross III in the closing seconds of the second quarter and by Kevin King in the third quarter.

Washington entered the game No. 2 in the nation in sacks and got to Falk four times. The Huskies consistent pressure without needing to blitz was the bigger impact.

Washington State was shutout in the first half for the first time since Nov. 17, 2012 at Arizona State, a 46-7 loss. It wasn’t for a lack of opportunities. The Cougars outgained the Huskies 183-167 in the first half, but three times failed to convert on fourth-down in Washington territory. The Cougars gave up possession at the Washington 42, 19 and 32 on their first three possessions. Falk appeared to hit Williams on for a 19-yard touchdown on Washington State’s second possession but Budda Baker separated Williams from the ball.

Washington State got a rare turnover when Cyrus Coen intercepted Miles early in the second quarter, the Cougars first interception since Sept. 13 against Portland State. But Mayle’s fumble late in the second quarter at the Cougars’ 27 led to Williams catching a fade pass with 50 seconds left in the half and a 14-0 Washington lead.