Health advisory issued for Black Lake

Health advisory issued for Black Lake

A health advisory was issued for Black Lake after water quality monitoring confirmed the presence of cyanobacteria, or blue-green algae.

The algae blooms have the potential to produce dangerous toxins in areas of the lake. Pets, children, the elderly, and people with compromised immune systems are most-at-risk of harmful exposure.

Anyone going to Black Lake should avoid exposure to lake water appearing to contain blue-green algae. Property owners using the lake as a drinking water source are cautioned that toxins cannot be removed by boiling or filtering the water.

If you did come in contact with water containing the algae, it is recommended to wash off with fresh water. If you choose to eat fish from the lake, it is recommended to remove all fat, skin, and organs before cooking, since the toxins are most likely to collect in those tissues.

Symptoms of exposure include rashes, hives, diarrhea, vomiting, coughing, or wheezing. More severe symptoms affecting the liver and nervous system may result from ingestion of water.

We will update when the water is deemed safe. The Idaho Department of Environmental Quality is working with residents, landowners and the Coeur d’Alene Tribe to implement nutrient reduction projects to improve overall water quality.