#happylife: Thanksgiving cooking safety tips from firefighters
SPOKANE, Wash. — Thanksgiving is just a couple days away! Before you flaunt your mad cooking skills at the dinner table, local firefighters want you to show off your fire safety skills in the kitchen.
Thanksgiving is the leading holiday for house fires across the country. Christmas, comes in second place. Firefighters from Spokane County Fire District 9 are working to make sure your home doesn’t become part of the statistic.
Stovetop fires are especially common this time of year. One of the causes for a stovetop fire is stovetop storage. Firefighters said people often set other items on the stove like Tupperware, take-out boxes, etc. Those items can easily catch fire if they’re too close to a burner.
Firefighters also want you to know how to put out a grease fire this holiday season. Grease fires often happen when we get distracted. The stove gets too hot, smoke starts pluming, and people panic. This is when some people end up throwing water on a grease fire, which is not what you want.
For a grease fire, take a lid and slowly slide it over the pan or pot. This will cut off its oxygen and slow it down. Adding water to a grease fire will only make it grow.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY KXLY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.