Firefighters rescue more than 100 snakes from burning house
For many people, the thought of picking up a python or a boa constrictor is terrifying. But for some firefighters in Texas, no victim is too scary, or too scaly, to rescue.
Caney Creek Fire and Rescue of Conroe — a suburb north of Houston — responded to a house fire over the weekend that was caused by a Christmas tree left with its lights on. When firefighters entered the house they found more than 100 snakes and lizards, Fire Chief Raymond Flannelly told CNN.
“Not sure how many lizards we found, but the snakes were large enough to give anyone crawling through a smoke-filled house a heart attack,” he said. Flannelly added that none of the snakes were venomous.
The reptiles — which, according to CNN affiliate KTRK included several five- to six-foot-long pythons and boa constrictors — were in glass cases but still needed to be carried outside the house. With the help of the home’s owners, fire crews ferried the snakes to safety.
“A dog or a cat, that’s one thing,” Lieutenant Bobby Matthews with the Caney Creek Fire Department told KTRK. “But a snake, that’s a whole other animal.”