Sheriff’s Office: Sunday morning fire at Ephrata Methodist Church was an accident
EPHRATA, Wash. — Firefighters have determined the cause of a Sunday morning fire at the Ephrata Methodist Church to be an accident.
According to the Grant County Sheriff’s Office, a candle left burning in the bathroom overnight started the fire.
The fire extended to a nearby office and then into the attic.
The Grant County Sheriff’s Office says the fire was called in around 8:30 a.m. and was under control by 10:40 a.m. Authorities say no one was injured in the fire, but there was heavy damage to the church.
The Sheriff’s Office reports the fire started in the bible study and office area of the building. Crews were able to contain the fire to the north end of the building, with smoke and heat damaging the sanctuary.
In the aftermath, first responders brought out property salvaged from the fire, including books and paintings.
Ephrata Fire Department, Grant County Fire Districts 3, 5, 7 and 13, Moses Lake Firefighters and Ephrata Police Department helped put down the fire.
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY KXLY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.