Double homicide suspect Gilberto Delgado arrested near Pocatello

Double homicide suspect Gilberto Delgado arrested near Pocatello

The suspect wanted for the double slaying of an adult brother and sister in their Spokane Valley home has been arrested by authorities in southern Idaho.

Gilberto Delgado, 44, was arrested by US Marshals and members of the Idaho State Police in a parking lot on Parkway Drive in Blackfoot just after noon Tuesday.

Authorities in Spokane County expressed concern Monday that he had fled to Pocatello, Idaho and contacted law enforcement authorities along the route south through Idaho to be on the lookout for Delgado.

“We had information that he had family or friends in the Pocatello area and that he may be headed that way,” Spokane County Sheriff’s Deputy Mark Gregory said.

Tuesday morning a black Dodge Dart matching the description of the one Delgado was driving was spotted on I-15 near Pocatello. ISP realized the vehicle had stolen license plates, and authorities were able to take him into custody in that Blackfoot parking lot.

“In this case they were able to roll up next to the vehicle and identify him to at least the extent they were fairly certain that was Mr. Delgado,” Gregory said. “Then, when he pulled over into a parking lot, is when they made their move to go in and contact him and make that arrest.”

Delgado was wanted for the killings of a man and a woman, whose bodies were found in a home in the 600 block of South Michigan Monday morning by the seven-year-old son of the female victim, who deputies say was an ex-girlfriend of Delgado’s.

Both victims died from multiple gunshot wounds.

Delgado was booked into the Bingham County Jail in Blackfoot. ISP detectives are working with the Spokane Valley Police Department to obtain a search warrant to search his vehicle as well as prepare to extradite Delgado back to Spokane County to face murder charges.

Lance Kolbet, the father of the seven-year-old boy who discovered his mom and uncle murdered Monday morning, took a few minutes Tuesday afternoon to talk to the media and thanks the members of the local law enforcement community who stepped in to help take care of his son.
“If I could find any good that could possibly come out of this, I know that I’m gonna leave this community and I got a chance to bring Cooper and also tell them thank you very much and that the job they do matters,” he said.