Cigarette dropped on medical oxygen causes house fire
SPOKANE, Wash. — Investigators say a cigarette dropped on medical oxygen tubing caused a house fire in the Logan neighborhood Monday morning.
Just before 10 a.m., the Spokane Fire Department responded to the 700 block of E. Carlisle Ave. on a report of a fire. Smoke and flames were coming from the home with an occupant still inside on oxygen.
Crews arriving on scene escalated the incident to a working fire, and additional crews were called. Firefighters brought the fire under control within minutes.
All occupants were able to evacuate the home. There were no injuries to civilians or firefighters.
The fire caused significant heat and smoke damage throughout the residence.
The Spokane Fire Department would like to remind the public of the following safety tips:
-Smoke outside. Many things in your home can catch on fire if they touch something hot like a cigarette or ashes. It is always safer to smoke outside.
-Put cigarettes out all the way. Do this every time. Don’t walk away from lit cigarettes and other smoking materials. Put water on the ashes and butts to make sure they are really out before you put them in the trash.
-Be alert. Do not smoke after taking medicine that makes you tired. You may not be able to prevent or escape from a fire if you are sleepy or have taken medicine that makes you tired.
-Never smoke around medical oxygen. Medical oxygen can explode if a flame or spark is near. Even if the oxygen is turned off, it can still catch on fire.
-Never smoke in bed. Mattresses and bedding can catch on fire easily. Do not smoke in bed because you might fall asleep with a lit cigarette.
-Put your cigarette out in an ashtray or bucket with sand. Use ashtrays with a wide base so they won’t tip over and start a fire.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY KXLY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.