Ceremony honors local law enforcement officers, K9 killed in the line of duty
SPOKANE, Wash. –The names of fallen officers from across the northwest were engraved onto the Law Enforcement Memorial outside of the Spokane Public Safety building Tuesday.
Eighteen officers and two K9s who were killed in the line of duty or while on duty were honored.
The ceremony marked 33 years of honoring the fallen and was able to be held this year after it was canceled last year because of the pandemic. Family members of the fallen and some of their colleagues were able to attend the ceremony in-person, while others watched online.
The service gave those attending the opportunity to speak about how their loved ones died, but also lived.
The following officers were memorialized during the service:
- WSP Trooper Suzanne “Renee” Padgett – E.O.W. 09/04/2018
- Deputy Sheriff Ryan S. Thompson, Kittitas County Sheriff’s Office – E.O.W. 03/19/2019
- Deputy Sheriff Justin R. DeRosier, Cowlitz County Sheriff’s Office – E.O.W. 04/14/2019
- Lt. Jon D. “J.D.” Anderson, Spokane PD – E.O.W. 07/05/2019
- Interim Chief Michael F. Knapp, Lynden PD – E.O.W. 11/06/2019
- Deputy Sheriff Cooper A. Dyson, Pierce County – E.O.W. 12/21/2019
- K-9 Jackie, U.S. Border Patrol – E.O.W. 12/29/2019
- WSP Trooper Justin R. Schaffer – E.O.W. 03/24/2020
- Officer Kurt J. Enget, Bainbridge Island PD – E.O.W. 04/10/2020
- Correctional Officer Berisford A. Morse, WA State Dept. of Corrections – E.O.W. 05/17/2020
- Officer Jonathan P. Shoop, Bothell PD – E.O.W. 07/13/2020
- Correctional Officer Daniel G. “Dan” Oaks, Yakima Corrections – E.O.W. 08/01/2020
- K-9 Ronja, Tacoma Police Department – E.O.W. 08/20/2020
- Deputy Reginal B. “Reggie” Thomas, King County SO – E.O.W. 09/07/2020
- Officer Charlie J. Cortez, Tulalip Tribal PD – E.O.W. 11/17/2020
- Deputy Jon M. Melvin, Grant County SO – E.O.W. 12/11/2020
- Correctional Officer David A. Christensen, WA State Dept. of Corrections – E.O.W. 12/29/2020
- Tribal Officer Jaymes R. “Jay” Hughes, Kalispel Tribal PD – E.O.W. 01/06/2021
- Officer Cesar D. Sibonga, Customs & Border Protection, Office of Field Operations – E.O.W. 02/07/2021
- Deputy Daryl Shuey, Pierce County SO – E.O.W. November 10, 2020
COPYRIGHT 2021 BY KXLY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.