Avoid an emergency: Make sure these items stay out of your pet’s reach
A Florida woman has a warning for pet owners after her dog died from eating mushrooms.
Alexandra Barry’s Boston Terrier ate two mushrooms while on a walk. The dog began to throw up, had diarrhea and was unable to keep water down.
Veterinarians are unsure what type of mushrooms the dog ate, but said they were toxic to him. While mushroom toxicity cases are not common, veterinarians say they should be taken seriously.
Several foods and items around your house can be deadly for your pets.
The Pet Poison Helpline has a list of what can be dangerously toxic for your dogs.
1. Foods – specifically chocolate, xylitol and grapes or raisins. The ASPCA also warns to avoid alcohol, avocado, coffee, citrus, coconut and coconut oil, macadamia nuts, milk/dairy, nuts, onions, garlic, chives, raw/undercooked meat and eggs, salt and salty snack foods, and yeast dough.
2. Insecticides – including sprays, bait stations and spot on flea/tick treatments.
3. Mouse and rat poison – rodenticides
4. NSAIDS human drugs – like ibuprofen, naproxen
5. Household cleaners – sprays, detergents and polishes
6. Antidepressent human drugs — like Prozac, Paxil, Celexa and Effexor
7. Fertilizers – including bone meal, blood meal and iron-based products
8. Acetaminophen human drugs – like Tylenol and cough/cold medications
9. Amphetamine human drugs – ADD/ADHD medications like Adderrall and Concerta
10. Veterinary pain relievers – specifically COX-2 inhibitors like Rimadyl, Dermaxx and Previcox
Several of these foods and items are also poisonous to cats. The best thing to do is keep these items out of your pets reach and avoid feeding them human food.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY KXLY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.