Apartments Destroyed in Gigantic Fire Being Rebuilt

Apartments Destroyed in Gigantic Fire Being Rebuilt
Apartments Destroyed in Gigantic Fire Being Rebuilt

It was one of the worst apartment fires in recent memory. On a cold November night 29 apartments in the Houston House Apartments burned.

The apartments–right next to Fred Meyer, off Francis Ave–were home to 89 people. All 89 people ended up homeless. The fire was caused by an unattended candle, that somehow, got knocked over. Almost no one in the apartment complex had renter’s insurance.

It was bad.

Now, it appears to be better. The apartments are being rebuilt, and people will be living in them later this year. We don’t know how many of the original tenants will be living there, nor do we know exactly when they’ll be ready for occupancy. But we do know that the House House Apartments have come a long way since the fire just a few months ago.

And, that’s a good thing for North Spokane.