Portland, OR - Portland Fire & Rescue says Government Island is being evacuated because of a large grass fire.
Callers to 9-1-1 reported the fire Monday afternoon, and fire officials say the 5-acre blaze has possibly ignited trees and bushes.
Multnomah County river patrol is helping to evacuate people who are camping on the island that's in the Columbia River between Portland and Vancouver, Wash.
Firefighters from Vancouver and Gresham have been asked to help.
The right northbound lane of Interstate 205 on the Glenn Jackson Bridge has been closed. Travelers should expect the lane to remain closed through the afternoon commute.
- 'Angels! Angels!' Avalanche survivors call out to rescuers
- Desperate search on for survivors after avalanche hits Italian hotel
- Preparing for potential flooding
- 2016 was the hottest year on record -- again
- Weather forecast for Trump's inauguration looks gloomy
- Ice storm glazes central US; sleet-slick roadways caused five fatalities