LEAVENWORTH, Wash. - A wildfire forced hundreds to abandon their homes and closed part of Highway 2 on Thursday. The Chiwakum Creek Fire is burning in brush and timber just northwest of Leavenworth, Wash.
The highway remained closed Thursday night as nearly 400 firefighters worked to get the wildfire under control.
The fire has burned more than 6,800 acres, forcing the Level 3 evacuation of 860 homes.
The highway will remain closed for the foreseeable future. If you have any plans in the area, adjust your travel plans accordingly.
- 2 killed, others feared dead after avalanche buries Italian hotel
- Preparing for potential flooding
- 2016 was the hottest year on record -- again
- Weather forecast for Trump's inauguration looks gloomy
- Ice storm glazes central US; sleet-slick roadways caused five fatalities
- Weekend ice storm targets central US