MEDICAL LAKE, Wash. - Firefighters raced to battle a brush fire Tuesday afternoon that quickly spread near Eastern State Hospital.
The Department of Natural Resources said that with the help of Medical Lake and Airway Heights fire crews the blaze was quickly contained to approximately three acres of land on Eastern State Hospital property.
The fires did not threaten any structures and the hospital was not evacuated.
DNR gave credit to the Medical Lake and Airway Heights crews who responded to the fire, saying their fast response time and professional was helpful as the DNR is stretched thin right now fighting fires across the state.
Crews are beginning to mop up the fire, while Avista is on the scene checking out power lines that run through the area.
There's no word on what started the fire.
- Many feared dead as avalanche buries Italian hotel after earthquakes
- Preparing for potential flooding
- 2016 was the hottest year on record -- again
- Weather forecast for Trump's inauguration looks gloomy
- Ice storm glazes central US; sleet-slick roadways caused five fatalities
- Weekend ice storm targets central US