SPOKANE, Wash. - Seattle right wing Justin Hickman notched a hat trick as the Thunderbirds beat the Spokane Chiefs for the sixth-straight time, this one a 4-0 shutout on Wednesday night at the Spokane Arena.
Hickman started the scoring late in the first period, as his shot went right by Spokane goalie Garret Hughson. Hickman would add a goal in both the second and third periods to complete one of hockey's most satisfying feats. Hughson stopped 29 of 33 shots on goal. Spokane was outshot 33-29 on the evening.
The lone bright spot for the Chiefs during the game was the penalty kill, which shutout the Thunderbirds on all five attempts. However, the Chiefs failed to score on their only two power play opportunities.
Spokane travels to Seattle to face the Thunderbirds once gain this Friday, February 7th. The game will be televised on ROOT Sports, and puck drop is at 7:05 PM. The Chiefs will the finish off the back-to-back-to-back trip with games at Tri-City and Everett.
Spokane returns home next Wednesday, February 12th, as they play host to the WHL-leading Kelowna Rockets. The last time the two teams met, Spokane rallied from a third-period, 5-2 deficit to win the game 6-5 in a shootout.
- Australian Open 2017: Nadal beats Zverev in four-hour epic
- Karnowski leads No. 4 Gonzaga past Santa Clara 88-57
- Wiley scores 30 points, EWU drubs N. Arizona 84-62
- Sanders scores 33 points as Idaho drops Suthern Utah
- Zags hold Broncos to 15 second-half points in 51-39 win
- EWU scores season low 47 points in loss to NAU