Spokane - The Mead Panthers were favored to win the Greater Spokane League before the season started. With a 34-19 win over Ferris on Thursday, the Panthers guaranteed themselves a playoff spot, and kept hope for a shared GSL title alive.
Rebounding from a loss to undefeated Gonzaga Prep earlier in the season, the Panthers and Saxons entered Thursday's contest with a chance to grab the second seed to the 4A playoffs with a win. Mead (8-1) jumped out to a 20-0 second quarter lead, thanks to two Davian Barlow touchdown runs, and a Gunnar Kayser to Danny Mattingly touchdown toss.
But Ferris (6-3) battled all the way back. Three Cole Karstetter touchdowns got the Saxons within a point at 20-19 in the fourth quarter. But Mead responded with two touchdowns to secure the win, and post-season berth.
Gonzaga Prep (8-0) is the GSL's 4A top seed regardless of Friday's outcome at Central Valley. The Panthers are the second seed, but would share the regular season title with the Bullpups if they lose. Gonzaga Prep beat Mead earlier in the season. In 3A, University is the top seed from the GSL, and Shadle Park is the second seed.Mead knocks off Ferris for final playoff spot
- Karnowski leads No. 4 Gonzaga past Santa Clara 88-57
- Wiley scores 30 points, EWU drubs N. Arizona 84-62
- Sanders scores 33 points as Idaho drops Suthern Utah
- Zags hold Broncos to 15 second-half points in 51-39 win
- EWU scores season low 47 points in loss to NAU
- School Record 18 3's Ignite Idaho Comeback