SEATTLE -- Kyle Seager had a two-run double, Hisashi Iwakuma made it stand with 6 2/3 strong innings, and the Seattle Mariners beat the Texas Rangers 3-1 on Friday night to end a three-game losing streak.
Iwakuma (2-0) got the better of his countryman and Texas starter Yu Darvish in the seventh all-time pitching matchup between the pair, both in Japan and the majors. Darvish (2-1) holds a 4-3 advantage when the pair match up on the mound.
Iwakuma held the Rangers bats silent until the fourth inning when Ian Kinsler led off with a homer. That proved to be the extent of the Rangers' offense as Iwakuma and three relievers combined to shut down Texas.
Tom Wilhelmsen pitched the ninth for his fourth save.
- 49ers' Sowers becomes first openly LGBT coach in men's pro sports
- Albers picks up 2nd win, Mariners hold off Braves 6-5
- Cougars ranked No. 24 in preseason AP Top-25
- Snell shuts down Mariners; Rays hit 2 homers in 3-0 win
- Fant's injury cast shadow over Seahawks' 20-13 win over Vikings
- Seahawks Bennett sits again during national anthem