Moscow, ID - Two years ago, Jason Gesser was coaching a high school football team. On Monday, he was introduced as the interim head coach at Idaho.
Gesser will coach the Vandals in their remaining four games, replacing Robb Akey, who was fired last weekend. He said he would like to be considered for the permanent job.
Gesser's eyes teared up and he struggled to speak as he recalled how Akey plucked him two years ago from Eastside Catholic High in Sammamish, Wash., to be the Vandals' running backs coach. Gesser was promoted to offensive coordinator prior to this season.
Akey was 20-50 as head coach of the Vandals, including 1-7 this season. Idaho was blown out 70-28 by Louisiana Tech on Saturday.
- Australian Open 2017: Novak Djokovic stunned by Denis Istomin
- Bagwell, Raines, Rodriguez elected to Baseball Hall of Fame
- Utah routs Washington State by 41
- Fultz scores 37 as Washington beats Colorado 85-83 in OT
- Cougars announce 2017 football schedule
- Baldwin leaving EWU for Cal offensive coordinator position