CHENEY, Wash. - Eastern Washington University head football coach Beau Baldwin announced that he's leaving Cheney to become the offensive coordinator at University of California for the Cal Golden Bears.
Baldwin announced his decision to leave at a press conference on Monday.
Baldwin was fighting back tears for much of the conference while sitting next to EWU Athletic Director Bill Chaves.
Baldwin met with the football team just prior to the news conference. He said his ultimate message to them was "thank you."
Despite his departure, Baldwin is confident that EWU will remain a football powerhouse.
"This place is much bigger than any one person. Always has been and always will be," Baldwin said of the football program. "These guys will continue to roll."
He added that his decision to leave was a tough one to make, but the situation was right.
"It's hard. But I want it to be hard. If it's not hard, then you're not connected to where you're at," Baldwin said.
Chaves said he hopes to have an expedited search for the next EWU head football coach. Until the next head coach is found, assistants Aaron Best and Jeff Schmedding will serve as co-interim head coaches.
- Future Eagle Flying High At Shadle Park
- Unbeaten Gonzaga No. 1 for fourth straight week
- Meyer's homer gives Cougars comeback win at Sacramento State
- Williams-Goss leads No. 1 Gonzaga over Pacific 82-61
- Iroegbu leads WSU to a 86-71 win over Arizona State
- Federer: Swiss star will play on until at least 2019