Tuel declares for draft; will not seek 5th year
PULLMAN, Wash. – Washington State senior quarterback Jeff Tuel has decided not to seek a fifth year of eligibility and make himself eligible for the 2013 NFL Draft.
“I have had a great four years at Washington State and will always be grateful to the university, my teammates, coaches and especially the fans,” said Tuel. “I feel it is time to pursue my life-long dream of playing in the NFL.”
Earlier this year Tuel petitioned the NCAA to receive a fifth year of eligibility after having played in only three games in 2011. In that season’s opener he suffered a collarbone injury that kept him out of action for the next four weeks. He returned to play the entire game against Stanford Oct. 15, and then started the following game against Oregon State in which he reinjured the collarbone and was lost for the year.
“The petition process has been going for months and there have been a number of questions over the past few weeks, but no decision,” said Tuel. “Everyone involved has done their best to support me and I truly appreciate their efforts. However, given the uncertainty in the outcome and timing, I feel it is in my best interest to move on in hopes of getting an opportunity to prove my skills at the next level.”
Tuel played in 31 games during his career, 26 as a starter, and completed 531 of 865 passes for 5,936 yards and 33 touchdowns. His completions are fifth-best all-time at WSU while he is sixth in attempts and seventh in yards and touchdowns. Tuel ended his Cougar career as the school’s all-time leader in completion percentage (.614).
“We appreciate Jeff’s contributions to Cougar football and wish him the very best in the future,” said WSU Head Coach Mike Leach.
© 2012 Washington State University Athletic Department. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without prior permission.