Southern California 57, Arizona State 56: Eric Wise scored 12 points and the Trojans built a 19-point first-half lead before holding off a late charge by the visiting Sun Devils in Pac-12 play.Arizona State freshman Jahii Carson scored 23 points and missed a 30-foot 3-pointer at the buzzer as USC (14-15, 9-7 Pac-12) held on for its sixth win in eight games. Byron Wesley added 11 points and J.T. Terrell scored 10 for the Trojans. Jordan Bachynski scored 17 points for Arizona State (20-10, 9-8), which lost its third straight game while suffering a blow to its NCAA Tournament hopes. The Trojans led by 14 points with 7 1/2 minutes remaining before the Sun Devils rolled off eight straight points to move within 51-45 on Chris Colvin's short jumper with 5:40 remaining. Carson's driving basket brought the Sun Devils within 57-56 with 4.5 seconds left and Wise missed the front end of a 1-and-1 situation with four seconds left to set the stage for Carson's game-ending miss.Arizona State missed 14 of its first 17 field-goal attempts over the first 15-plus minutes as the Trojans raced out to a 25-7 lead. USC's largest lead of the half was 19 en route to taking a 31-20 lead into the break.GAME NOTEBOOK: The Trojans are 7-5 since interim coach Bob Cantu replaced fired Kevin O'Neill. … Arizona State went 1-of-11 from 3-point range. … Terrell has scored in double figures in 13 of the last 14 games.
Local News Headlines
- Should inmates get mental health medications in jail?
- Officers in deadly shooting identified
- Spokane police officer under investigation
- Driver extricated after Spokane County water truck rolls
- FBI: No arrests made in ricin letter investigation
- Police in Browne's Addition investigating Ricin letters
- Court documents detail deadly shootings
- Deputy, police officer under investigation for misconduct
- Road closures for Armed Forces Torchlight Parade
- Two dead in overnight shootings