No. 11 Michigan 71, South Dakota State 56: Tim Hardaway Jr. and Glenn Robinson III scored 21 points apiece to lead the Wolverines to a win in the second round of the NCAA Tournament in Auburn Hills, Mich.Hardaway made 5-of-7 from 3-point range and Robinson hit all three of his shots from behind the arc for fourth-seeded Michigan (27-7), which will play Virginia Commonwealth or Akron in Saturday's third round. Mitch McGary chipped in 13 points as the Wolverines overcame a sluggish game by Big Ten Player of the Year Trey Burke, who finished with a season-low six points on 2-of-12 shooting.Brayden Carlson collected 20 points to lead 13th-seeded South Dakota State (25-10), which also had its conference player of the year struggle as Nate Wolters had 10 points on 3-of-14 shooting. The 10th-rated 3-point shooting team in the nation entering the NCAA Tournament, the Jackrabbits were just 4-for-19 from beyond the arc.The Wolverines trailed 16-10 midway through the first half before Hardaway knocked down a 3-pointer to ignite a 17-3 run. Carlson's jumper just before halftime pulled South Dakota State within 30-26, but Robinson had the first 11 Michigan points of the second half to push the advantage to 41-30.Carlson's layup allowed the Jackrabbits to trim their deficit to six points with 10:35 left. The Wolverines answered with an 8-0 burst, capped by Hardaway's final 3-pointer, to go up 57-43 and led by at least 11 points from that point on en route to their third tournament win under coach John Beilein.GAME NOTEBOOK: Burke left the floor with 11:01 left after a hard fall under the Jackrabbits hoop. He was examined in the locker room and returned to the game moments later. ... Wolters and fellow G Chad White, who ranked 1-2 on the Jackrabbits in made 3s this season, both went 0-for-5 from long range. ... Auburn Hills is the closest to campus Michigan has ever played in the NCAA Tournament.
Local News Headlines
- Centralia man accused of running drug ring
- Parents use daughter's iPad to help nab sexual predator
- Hart pleads not guilty to Nine Mile Falls murder
- Police searching for suspect in CHAS Valley Clinic robbery
- Attempted robbery at N. Division Chase Bank.
- Thieves target ATMs at Spokane Valley businesses
- Chelan County search continues for mushroom hunter
- Berger grabbed deputy's taser during Oz Fitness altercation
- Detectives retrieve shooting suspect's getaway car
- One killed in North Spokane shooting