Lightning 4, Hurricanes 1: Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat each scored his first career goal and Mathieu Garon made 21 saves as Tampa Bay snapped a five-game losing streak on home ice.Johnson also had an assist in his second NHL game while Nate Thompson and Teddy Purcell each contributed a goal for the Lightning. Garon posted his third win - all against Carolina.Captain Eric Staal scored on a breakaway 6:21 into the third period for the Hurricanes. Justin Peters, who blanked Washington on Tuesday, turned aside 22 shots for Carolina.Johnson beat Peters to the glove side from the left faceoff circle after Alex Killorn swept the puck off the boards at 10:54 of the first period. Palat doubled the lead when defenseman Sami Salo's shot from the high slot went in off his skate 6:35 into the second session.Thompson took a feed from B.J. Crombeen, fought off a defender and flipped the puck over Peters with 7:05 left in the second for a 3-0 advantage. Purcell snapped a 13-game goal drought as he converted a breakaway 3:54 into the third period.GAME NOTEBOOK: Carolina claimed RW Adam Hall off waivers from Tampa Bay on Saturday. He was in the lineup against his former team, playing 9:38 with a minus-2 rating. … Carolina D Joni Pitkanen returned after missing the last six games with a lower-body injury. He played just over 20 minutes. … It was the first time in franchise history that two Lightning players scored their first career goals in the same game. Johnson also was 6-0 on faceoffs.
Local News Headlines
- Missing 13-year-old found safe
- Suspect in ricin letters also accused of bomb threat at Fairchild
- Suspect makes first appearance in ricin letter case
- Free pizza offered to help find Pizza Rita robber
- Woman found dead in Spokane Valley hotel
- WA license plate fee added to pay for wolf kills
- High winds contribute to fatal boat accident on Sprague Lake
- One dead in Sprague Lake boating mishap
- Should inmates get mental health medications in jail?
- Officers in deadly shooting identified