Capitals 3, Hurricanes 2: Mike Ribeiro scored with 2:16 remaining and Alex Ovechkin had a goal and an assist as visiting Washington erased a two-goal deficit and snapped a three-game losing streak.After Ovechkin's breakaway shot slid behind goaltender Dan Ellis, Ribeiro tapped the puck just over the goal line as the Capitals moved to within eight points of first-place Carolina in the Southeast Division. Joey Crabb also scored and Michal Neuvirth made 36 saves for Washington, which improved to 9-5-0 when Ovechkin records a point.Alexander Semin and Patrick Dwyer scored first-period goals and Ellis made 22 saves for the Hurricanes, who had won six of their last seven games, including a 4-0 victory at Washington on Tuesday. Semin began the scoring when he worked his way to the front of the net and took a pass from Eric Staal before easily beating Neuvirth with the first shot of the game at 1:14. Dwyer made it 2-0 after he redirected Tim Gleason's pass from the point while positioned high in the slot at 8:17.Crabb cut the lead in half at when he converted Aaron Volpatti's pass from the doorstep at 5:56 of the second period. Ovechkin tied it with a power-play goal at 1:01 of the third period - his 700th career point - after taking a nifty feed from Troy Brouwer, who had drawn two defenders to him.GAME NOTEBOOK: The line of Staal, Semin and Jiri Tlusty has combined for 13 goals and 26 assists in the last eight games. ... Ovechkin, who snapped a three-game pointless streak, has 349 goals and 351 assists. He also scored against Carolina for the first time in 10 games. ... The Capitals and Hurricanes meet two more times.
Local News Headlines
- High winds contribute to fatal boat accident on Sprague Lake
- One dead in Sprague Lake boating mishap
- Should inmates get mental health medications in jail?
- Officers in deadly shooting identified
- Spokane police officer under investigation
- Driver extricated after Spokane County water truck rolls
- FBI: No arrests made in ricin letter investigation
- Police in Browne's Addition investigating Ricin letters
- Court documents detail deadly shootings
- Deputy, police officer under investigation for misconduct