The Miami Dolphins had all of last season and part of this offseason to sign Jake Long. They were unable to do so. Even with Long reaching the end of a two-day visit with the St. Louis Rams, that doesn't mean the Dolphins are out of it. The team that drafted Long No. 1 overall in 2008 is mounting a charge to retain their left tackle, according to a person informed of the negotiations between the sides. The person, who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity, said general manager Jeff Ireland and his team have been in communication with Long on Friday morning and are trying to bridge the gap they've had in previous negotiations.
Local News Headlines
- Discussion over stolen property led to deadly shooting
- Grand Jury indicts Buquet for threatening to kill Obama
- Centralia man accused of running drug ring
- Parents use daughter's iPad to help nab sexual predator
- Hart pleads not guilty to Nine Mile Falls murder
- Police searching for suspect in CHAS Valley Clinic robbery
- Attempted robbery at N. Division Chase Bank.
- Thieves target ATMs at Spokane Valley businesses
- Chelan County search continues for mushroom hunter
- Berger grabbed deputy's taser during Oz Fitness altercation