The Bruins and Canadiens delivered another entertaining installment in their decades-old rivalry. But for B’s fans, it provided an ultimately unsatisfying result. With captain Zdeno Chara serving 17 minutes for avenging an Alexei Emelin hit on Tyler Seguin, the Canadiens scored twice in the third period to grab a 4-3 victory at the Garden and move back into first place in the Eastern Conference. Neither the players nor the coaches had an issue with what Chara did. They lauded it, in fact. They built their reputation on doing things like that. “He stood up for (Seguin) and we should have done the job,” said Patrice Bergeron, who had a goal and two assists. “We gave them those second and third chances that usually we don’t give to players in front of the net. Tuukka (Rask) made some good saves, but we couldn’t be there for that second rebound.” Max Pacioretty tied the game at 3 with a long-range shot at 5:31 of the third, with David Desharnais providing a screen in front of Rask. Of the four goals he allowed, Rask was most upset with that one. “I saw him release it and that’s all I need to know,” Rask said. “I think I was a little too sloppy. I wasn’t ready for the shot and it just went through me. Those are the tough ones that you want back.” Rask didn’t get much help on the game-winner, which came off the stick of Desharnais at 9:17. The B’s couldn’t control the puck on a pileup at the side of the net and Pacioretty poked it out from behind the net to Desharnais to give the Habs the 4-3 lead that they kept for the remainder of the evening. Coach Claude Julien didn’t like the lack of a call when Emelin cross-checked Seguin in the neutral zone in the second period — he went off the ice looking banged up but finished the game — and he was just about livid with what he felt was bad acting on the part of the Canadiens, mentioning P.K. Subban by name.
Local News Headlines
- Parents use daughter's iPad to help nab sexual predator
- Hart pleads not guilty to Nine Mile Falls murder
- Police searching for suspect in CHAS Valley Clinic robbery
- Attempted robbery at N. Division Chase Bank.
- Thieves target ATMs at Spokane Valley businesses
- Chelan County search continues for mushroom hunter
- Berger grabbed deputy's taser during Oz Fitness altercation
- Detectives retrieve shooting suspect's getaway car
- One killed in North Spokane shooting
- This year's fire threat is coming on stronger, earlier